High Pressure Selling Techniques
It is common knowledge that timeshare sales people will adopt unethical tactics to ensure a sale, with little thought to the negative consequences to the client. Many tactics they use will not be recorded or put into writing and as such can be denied when later questioned. Unfortunately, the consequences of buying a mis-sold timeshare property can be expensive and very difficult to exit from.
Common Tactics Employed
- Clients can be told that the special deal that is on offer is only available until the end of the day and after that the price will go up. This is rarely true.
- At times, clients are taken to isolated locations with no option to leave where they are subjected to high-pressured sales meetings that can last up to 10 hours.
- Clients are sometimes not given food, but are plied with alcohol during these long presentation meetings.
- Customers are not left alone, nor are allowed to leave presentations where they are often pressured by groups of sales people into signing a contract. It is a common theme that many clients end up signing contracts just to get away from the meeting.
- Clients are told that their timeshare is a good investment and will go up in value.
Common Lies Told Include…
- You can stay anywhere in the world for the same price.
- The timeshare property is an investment.
- The maintenance fees will not go up.
- The maintenance fees will only rise in-line with inflation.
- The resort will promise to buy back the property after so many years.
- It is not timeshare that they are buying, but another product.